Buttermilk Fried… Vegetables?
I recently made a large batch of buttermilk fried chicken for a family party, and it was very well received, even though I personally thought that I did an average job. Because the lovely and inimitable Wolfbad is a vegetarian, I’ve adapted the recipe for vegetables. (The recipe in question? Pioneer Woman’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken.)
You will notice a few changes from the linked recipe:
(1) I subbed rosemary and oregano in lieu of thyme. I had none of the latter and both of the former. The scent of fried batter and rosemary is amazing, so I ship this swap.
(2) I swapped in coconut oil for the suggested cooking oils, mainly for its purported health benefits. Personally I don’t taste the coconut contribution but the scent is lovely and your palate may enjoy the flavor if you detect it. If you are allergic or hate coconut, stick to your preferred frying oil.
(3) Rather than an overnight soak, I recommend a 1-2 day soak. This led to the best results for me personally, but if you only have time for overnight, or prefer it, then go for it! Also please note that if your preferred vegetables cannot withstand such a prolonged soak without turning to mush, you might want to stick to an hour soak at the most, or a quick coating at the least. Buttermilk’s viscosity is pretty great for ensuring that your breading will stick, which is why I recommend a quick coating at the very least.
(4) I drastically cut down on the frying time, because the vegetables are thin enough that they won’t need to be flipped, and I personally don’t think they need as much time in the fryer as chicken does. If you prefer to try the original fry times, I’ve included them below parenthetically.
-Up to 6 lbs hardy vegetables of your choice (or however many you can fit into 1-2 large freezer bags), chopped to your preferred length and width, but not exceeding 1 inch in height
-1 quart plus 1/4 cup buttermilk
-5 cups all-purpose flour
-3 tablespoons seasoned salt
-2 teaspoons black pepper
-2 teaspoons dried rosemary
-2 teaspoons dried oregano
-2 teaspoons paprika
-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
-1/4 cup milk
1. In a large freezer bag (or more as needed) add the vegetables with 1 quart buttermilk (save the extra 1/4 cup for later). Refrigerate for 1-2 days. When ready to fry, remove bags from fridge and set them on the counter for 30 minutes, less if you have a hot kitchen.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Stir together the dry ingredients (flour, seasoned salt, pepper, rosemary, oregano, paprika and cayenne in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the 1/4 cup buttermilk and the milk. Pour the milk mixture into the flour and use a fork to mix until little lumps throughout.
3. Heat 1.5 inches of oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat to 365F. Working in batches, thoroughly coat each buttermilk-soaked vegetable piece with the breading, pressing to adhere the breading. Add the vegetables to the oil, as many as you can fit flatly per batch. Cover pan and fry for 2-4 minutes, or until the batter has crisped sufficiently. (Original times: 5-7 mins on one side, 3-5 mins on the other side.) Keep in mind that the vegetables will continue to cook in the oven.
4. Place the fried pieces on a wire baking rack set over a drip pan. Continue frying vegetables until you have enough to fill the baking rack. When filled, bake the vegetables for 10-15 minutes. Move these fried-and-baked vegetables to a cooling rack. Continue frying and baking the remainder of your vegetables as needed.
joker isn’t racist, he kills everyone
joker isn’t sexist, he thinks everyone that’s not him isn’t important
joker isn’t homophobic, he’s doesn’t like the batfamily in general, straight or gay or what have you
if the joker is a better person that you are, you need to reevaluate yourself
If I remember well, there’s a crossover where The Joker and Red Skull work together and when Mr J realizes RS is a nazi, he totally flips out!
True American Joker hates Nazis, doesn’t mess with the IRS
(Source: jokerismsarchive)via raaddest
AU where polyamory is 100% societally acceptable, so dystopian novels for teenage girls are forced to focus on something other than contrived love triangles.
-Katniss continues to prioritize survival and family above all else. Peeta and Gale are actually civil and caring with each other and the rest is basically the same.
-Jacob imprinting on Renesmee while dating Bella and Edward leads to a heart wrenching meditation on predatory grooming and the way abuse is often allowed to fester in families.
-Everyone in Save the Pearls becomes self aware and realizes they’re in a pretty racist book. They revolt against the author and struggle with the internalized biases they were written to excuse.via teenegg
it breaks my heart knowing that i will never receive a blowjob
what the fuck why do so many people think they will never receive a blowjob
Because we have vaginas
(Source: sleepymalum)via raaddest